English Language Proficiency Tests in Finland
In Finland, proof of English language skills is required for admission in various courses and programs in universities and other higher education institutions. A valid TOEFL or IELTS (Academic) test score is needed for admissions. Also, some other official tests, such as PTE-Pearson Test of English or Cambridge ESOL CPE/CAE are also accepted. Contact the respective institution to know about the English language tests accepted by them.
The minimum test score required vary depending upon the degree programme and are determined by the Finnish higher education institutions themselves.
Language proficiency certificates accepted in Finland educational institutions are:
Cambridge ESOL CPE/CAE
- Cambridge ESOL’s Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), level C; or
- Cambridge ESOL’s Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), CEFR level C1; or
- Cambridge IGSCE Certificate level C;
PTE- Pearson test of English Academic
- PTE- Academic: Score of 51 is acceptable
IELTS-International English Language Testing System
- IELTS academic level score of 6.0 is acceptable
TOEFL-Test of English as a Foreign Language
- TOEFL paper-based test score: 550 and TOEFL Internet-based test: 79–80
National Certificate of Language proficiency
The National Certificate of Language Proficiency in Finnish, English or Swedish is accepted in Finland.
Academic language skills acceptable are:
- English as the A1 language with a minimum grade of 2
- English as the A2 language with a minimum grade of 5
- English as a language (literature/language and literature/language and performance) with a minimum grade of 2
Exemption from Language Tests
If you have completed your previous education/qualification in English, in that case, depending upon your nationality or the country where your previous education was done, you may be exempted from the language test requirement. EU/EEA countries nationals fall under this category.