Scholarships to Finland for the Brazilian Nationals
"Science without Borders" (Ciencia sem Fronteiras), is an extensive scholarship programme mainly funded by the Brazilian federal government. The Ministry of Education (MEC) and the Ministry of Science and Technology (MCT) jointly created and manage this programme through their respective authorities- CAPES and CNPq. This programme allows the Brazilian students and researchers to study and carry out research activities at Finnish higher education institutions.
This programme provides scholarships for:
- Undergraduate Studies- Bachelor’s and Master’s
- PhD Internship overseas
- Full-time PhD
- Postdoc research
This scholarship programme is for Brazilian citizens only. All the study courses provided for Science without Borders pupils are taught in English.
Ciencia sem Fronteiras - Undergraduate Programme
This programme allows Brazilian students to spend an exchange period at a Finnish university or university of applied science/polytechnics.
Scholarship Duration: 12 months
This is a one year non-degree programme, as pupils have to go back to complete their degree course in Brazil.
Fields of Study:
STEM- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. To find out a detailed list of the fields of study, click here
Candidates must satisfy the following requirements-
- Candidates must be registered in a higher level course in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)
- Candidates must have Brazilian citizenship
- Candidates must have finished a minimum of 20% and maximum of 90% of the study plan prepared for the course at the start of the study tour
- Candidate must possess a good academic performance as per the IHE criteria
- Candidates must possess English language skills. Thus, a proof of the same in the form of TOEFL iBT and IELTS scores must be submitted. A TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language) certificate in the iBT (Internet Based Test) score- 80, and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 6.0
The Brazilian Universities present their top students chosen on the basis of academic performance and merit, which fulfill the eligibility criteria and other requirements of the scholarships. Students are selected through calls for proposal that is declared by CAPES and CNPq.
Students must abide by these steps-
Step 1: Apply to the Ciencia sem Fronteiras programme in Brazil.
Step 2: After the candidates have been pre-selected, the application goes on to Finland, where CIMO manages and organises the application process by sending the application to Finnish educational institutions.
To know more about the application and selection process, click here
Participating Finnish Institutions and Programmes
To know about the Finnish higher education institutions that take part in the Ciencia sem Fronteiras undergraduate programme for Brazilian students, click here
Ciencia sem Fronteiras - PhD and Post-Doctoral Research
The Ciencia sem Fronteiras- PhD and Post-doc programme is only for Brazilian citizens or international students with permanent visa in Brazil only. This programme allows the Brazilian PhD pupils to do full or part of their PhD studies at a Finnish University, or Post-doctoral researchers to carry out their research in a Finnish research group for a fixed time period.
Duration: 3 to 48 months
Area of Study: STEM- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. It coves following study areas:
- Engineering and other technological areas
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Pure and Natural Sciences
- Health and Biomedical Sciences
- Biodiversity and bioprospection
- Sustainable Agricultural Production
- Oil, Gas and Coal
- Marine Sciences
- Renewable Energy
- Technology for prevention and mitigation of natural disasters
- Nanotechnology and New Materials
- New technologies for constructive engineering
- Formation of technical personnel
Candidates are required to get the acceptance from the higher education institution in Finland in order to be eligible for this scholarship. To know more about the application requirements and process, visit the official website